Monday, June 10, 2013

Gaming 101: What you need

I have already posted once about gaming, and some of the things I will go over will be somewhat similar. I will try to make this as helpful as possible though.


What you need(Essentials):


-Your army- This is pretty much a given.

-Your army list(s)- A list of all the units you will be taking for a given battle. Having a clearly defined army before you start the game is essential, especially if you are using proxies. Proxies are models that are used in place of other models for one reason or another. I occasionally use my Chaos Daemon furies in place of Chaos Warp Talons, because I don't own any Warp Talon Models. An army list makes sure both you and your opponent are completely clear on what rules/weapons your models have.

Below is a screenshot of one of my recent army lists. It wasn't that great, so I made others, but this one is the most organized. You can see the point distribution for each of my units, as well as their wargear and special rules. The rules are defined on the right side, so I don't have to check the Rulebook every time I want to use that unit. This style of list has been extremely helpful, and I would recommend this way to any player regardless of experience.



-The Big Rule book (BRB)- This is, in my opinion, the most important thing that you bring to a game (besides your army of course). There will no doubt be times when a dispute of rules comes up, and you need to come to an agreement. There is no way you can memorize everything in there, so it's best to bring it along. The traditional rule book is $75 on Games Workshop, but you can always find it cheaper in other places (a used copy on Ebay will probably be cheapest). Also, a condensed version can be found in the Dark Vengeance set (I haven't seen/read it, so I'm not sure how thorough it is)



-Codex for for army/armies- Everything that applies to the Rule Book applies to this as well. Especially at the beginning, you will be constantly checking your unit's stats and special rules. You should also carry along the codex of your allied army(s), and possible the codex of the army you are facing (if you know it, and own the codex).
 

-Dice-  In a dice-based game, you definitely need some dice. You need more than just a few, though. My suggestion is to buy one of the games workshop dice boxes, which also comes with a scatter dice. Also, having some differently colored/sized dice is very useful for attacks that have different characteristics. Having a dice bag to keep them all together might also be helpful.

-Templates- In Warhammer 40k, some weapons use templates of different sizes and shapes for their attacks. There are three different templates which can be purchased, or cut out of cardboard (or another like material).

-Tape Measure- Nothing fancy, just needs to have a range of over 72". That is usually the longest distance you  will be working with in the game.

Other Recommended Accessories


-Carrying Case- This should probably be in the essentials, because it is so important. If you plan on doing any serious gaming, you need a carrying case. Otherwise, the trip to the hobby shop could leave your models broken or with chipped paint, which is a total downer. For those of you who don't want to fork up the $60 for the cheaper of the GW ones, you can always make one. I made one out of a cardboard box and some packing foam. There are also plenty of tutorials online on how to make your own. Here's one. Here is another using magnets (very interesting).




-Other Items- As I am almost positive I have forgotten something, or several thing, please let me know if you can think of them. As always, I appreciate the comments. They let me know what you guys think, because ultimately, I'm doing this for you.

Sometime soon, I will be doing some changes on the blog, trying to make it easier to navigate. Also, keep an eye out for more sculpting posts. I have sculpted many things since my last post, but none of them are worthy of showing anyone. One of my current projects is semi-promising, so we will see about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely done.

An advanced item to bring would be some sort of indicators to show status. Cotton balls for popping smoke for example.